Log in

No account? Create an account
Entries Friends Calendar User Info ByersWorks Previous Previous Next Next
The Great Feline Poisoning Incident of Early 2002... - Unbeliever's Land
...The continuing chronicles...
The Great Feline Poisoning Incident of Early 2002...
At the request of rickvs:

It was cold, that January.

The roads had iced, melted slightly, re-iced, re-melted, and re-iced yet again.

And yours truly, was gutted like a fish. Literally.

<gross part>

Throughout the last half of 2001, I'd suffered from diverticulitis, on and off. I'd build up a sharp pain in my side, the docs would give me antibiotics, the pain would subside, and six weeks later it would start again. Finally, the antibiotics stopped working, and the docs discovered I had a nasty abscess in my lower intestine. They checked me into the hospital immediately, and put me on fluids and high levels of antibiotics for as long as they dared (over a week). Then they sliced me open, took out the yucky bits, and... well, to a large extent, left me "open".

You see, they don't want to sew you up with any "yuckies" (technical term) still inside you. So after they knit your muscles together, they leave you open to heal naturally, from the inside out (pushing out the yuckies as you heal). I had gauze taped over me, that got changed frequently, but that's pretty much where things stood when they released me, Christmas eve...

(It was a very... ginger Christmas, that first Christmas in the new house, 2001...)

</gross part>

So I was still home from work, healing slowly, but still feeling (and looking) quite thoroughly gutted -- when Angela decided to poison the cat.

Of course, neither of us THOUGHT that was what she was doing. The flea poison SAID "safe for all cats". We believed it. And she was well below the recommended dose... just a couple of drops, on the back of the neck.

Somehow, the cat ingested some. (Flexible cat.)

And somehow, she was highly sensitive to this particular substance.

It was about 2am when Cally managed to get Angela's attention -- by crawling on top of her, and then going into violent convulsions.

Angela managed to wake me up (which is a damn near impossible task at that hour of the morning, trust me) -- and then managed to convince me that we had a Real Emergency on our hands (which was even harder when all I wanted was to go back to sleep).

Did I mention that Albany had no 24-hour emergency vets at that time?

...So there I was, 20 minutes later, in the car, in the dark, in the COLD, on icier roads than ever I'd seen, driving to Corvallis, with Angela next to me, holding a seizuring cat in a towel, freaking out, trying not to get us ALL killed, looking for the emergency vet, while trying not to let my intestines spill out all over the steering wheel.

I'm sure I've had worse moments, but none come leaping to mind.

Long story short (too late), we found it, got Cally inside, waited while the vet got her at least somewhat stabilized, then left her there and went back home. The vets kept her a couple of days while they flushed all the poison from her system (and thoroughly cleaned her skin and fur to prevent re-poisoning), and we finally got to bring her home.

But I think the experience managed to fry a few kitty-brain cells. Before the incident, she was a perfectly normal cat, but ever since, she's seemed slightly... off...

Current Emotional State: sad sad

Read (2 comments) :: Write comment
amaebi From: amaebi Date: September 24th, 2009 11:20 am (UTC) (Link)
Wow, do you guys ever know how to celebrate.
rickvs From: rickvs Date: September 26th, 2009 03:13 pm (UTC) (Link)
Glad the cat didn't feel well enough to play with the intestinal dangly bits, at least ...
Read (2 comments) :: Write comment